Have you just purchased some beautiful shutters that will help your home look lovely, help you control light, and get you some more privacy? While we do recommend that you use professional shutter services to ensure that your shutters come in, you can install shutters yourself. If, for some reason, you can’t get your Oakville shutters professionally installed, here is a step-by-step guide to installing your Oakville shutters successfully.
Measure Your Windows & Order
The most important step of installing shutters (and blinds) is measuring. Measure each window individually, even if you believe two or more of them are identical. Then make your order for your shutters to arrive in Oakville.
Tools You’ll Need
Here are the tools that you’ll need to install your shutters:
- 1/8 inch drill bit
- Combination square
How to Install the Shutters
- Install the hinges: Lay the shutters on their side, hinge side facing up. Install the hinges, keeping in mind that the bars should face the room when the shutter is closed. Place the hinges on the shutter, and drill pilot holes into the shutter with the drill. Then add the screws (which likely came with the shutters) with the right screwdriver. Repeat until all of the hinges are attached to all of the shutters.
- Install hanging strips: Your shutters should have arrived with strips that you install in the window. These strips then connect to the hinges on the shutter. Simply place the strips into the window and attach them to the window jamb. You may want to check that the shutters and hinges will fit by holding them up to the hanging strips before you secure them.
- Mark the hinges: Now hold the shutters up to the window jamb. Have your helper do this while you mark the spot for the hinges to be attached to the window jamb.
- Attach the shutter: Predrill holes where you have marked. Then have your helper hold up the shutter while you add the screws.
- Add catch magnet: If there is a catch magnet included with your shutters, then you need to add it at the bottom of the shutter, where it will “catch” as you close the shutter. Hold the magnet mechanism on the shutter and close the shutter. Make sure that it will close all of the way where the magnet is placed. Then mark it and screw it in place.
Get Help from Milton Blinds
If you have no way of getting professional help with your installation, our above guide should help you some. If you can, we highly recommend that you don’t try to DIY. Your shutters and blinds are an investment in your home or your business, and getting professional help is the best way to ensure that your investment was worth it. We install shutters and blinds and are happy to do it for you. Reach out to us at Milton Blinds for all of your shutter service needs.